SPRINGFIELD, Vt. – This year’s annual Springfield Elks Soccer Shoots in Springfield and Chester were a big success! Two participants won at the Vermont Elks State Soccer Shoot and competed at the Area 1 Soccer Shoot in Rhode Island. Area 1 soccer shoot consists of all the state winners from New England and upstate New York. Springfield Elks Soccer Shoot Chairman Victor Baskevich reported there was a record turnout of participants between the two towns.
Local soccer shoot results are as follows:
- U-8 boys: William Aviles of Springfield, first, and Abe Allen of Springfield, second.
- U-8 girls: Eliza Frank of Springfield, first, and Janey Whipple of Springfield, second.
- U-10 boys: Trace Kline of Chester, first, and Matthew Studin of Chester, second.
- U-10 girls: Harper Palmer Springfield, first, and Claire Gomez of Springfield, second.
- U-12 boys: Kaiden McCarthy of Chester, first, and Carter LaBarge of Chester, second.
- U-12 girls: Alexis Boissonnault of Chester, first, and Lily Parent of Chester, second.
All of the local winners competed at the Vermont Elks Soccer Shoot in St. Albans Sunday, Oct. 13. The two Springfield Elks Lodge 1560 participants who won represented the Elks in Kingston, R.I. Saturday, Nov. 2 at the Area 1 Soccer Shoot.
Like their annual Hoop Shoot program, the Elks hosted all the families for a weekend of fun for the kids with hotel stays, pizza parties, swimming, and a big banquet to end the weekend festivities.
The Springfield Elks Lodge 1560 would like to extend a hearty thank you to all the participants and their parents for allowing them to compete. Chairman Baskevich hopes to break the 200 count of participants next year. The Elks would also like to thank Andy Bladyka and Matt McCarthy of the Springfield and Chester Recreation Departments for encouraging the participants to sign up for the shoots.