REGION – The American Red Cross encourages people to help meet the urgent need for blood and platelets by resolving to give blood this January – National Blood Donor Month.
Donating blood or platelets is a way to make a lifesaving impact in the new year for patients like Judy Janssen, who was diagnosed with end-stage autoimmune liver disease in 2016. Janssen received frequent blood transfusions – sometimes multiple times a week – until she underwent a liver transplant last January.
“Blood donors make a really big difference with very little effort,” said Janssen, who received dozens of transfusions before and during her transplant surgery. “I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for blood donations.”
The critical role of blood and platelet donors has been celebrated each January for nearly 50 years during National Blood Donor Month, which coincides with one of the most difficult times to maintain a sufficient blood supply for patients. Busy holiday schedules, extreme winter weather, and seasonal illnesses often impact donor turnout this time of year.
All donors who give blood or platelets during National Blood Donor Month in January at Red Cross blood drives in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island will receive a Dunkin’ Gift Card via email as a thank you for helping save lives during National Blood Donor Month. A valid email address must be on file at the time of donation.
Make an appointment to donate blood or platelets by downloading the free American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting www.RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Another way to help keep the blood supply strong in the new year is to host a Red Cross blood drive. To learn more about hosting a blood drive and to sign up, visit www.RedCrossBlood.org/HostADrive.
Local blood drives happening in January:
- Jan. 14, from 12:30-5:30 p.m., Ludlow Community Center, 37 Main Street, Ludlow
- Jan. 16, from noon-5:30 p.m., First Congregational Church, 3624 Main Street, Manchester
- Jan. 17, from 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Grace Congregational Church, 8 Court St., Rutland
- Jan. 19, from 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Diamond Run Mall, 46 Diamond Row Place, Rutland
- Jan. 21, from noon-5 p.m., Newsbank Conference Center, 352 Main Street, Chester
- Jan. 24, from noon-5 p.m., United Church of Bellows Falls, 8 School St., Bellows Falls
- Jan. 26, from 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Stockbridge Central School, 2933 Vt. Rte 107, Stockbridge
- Jan. 31, from noon-5 p.m., Holiday Inn, 485 Hotel Dr., Brownsville