Virtual Class – Oil Painting: Old Master Copies
May 30 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
An event every 2 weeks that begins at 2:00 pm on Saturday, repeating until May 30, 2020
Instructor: Chalice Mitchell
Dates: Sunday, May 17 and Saturday, May 30
Time: 45-60 minute class demo, consultations and final group class (you will receive instructions in your confirmation email)
Cost: Contact organizer for cost details.
Artist Chalice Mitchell teaches skills necessary to paint after the old masters in this online workshop. We will cover some of the old techniques of grisaille, underpainting, traditional pigments, building up layers, concepts like thick over thin, fat over lean, scumbling, and glazing.
This course includes a 45 – 60 minute demo video, 2 individual (small group) consultations with Chalice as you work through your painting, and a final show & tell with all the other students over Zoom on Saturday, May 30 at 2 p.m. Choose your favorite artist and painting and follow in their footsteps!
• 11×14″ to 16×20″ canvas (primed & tinted)
• paints; titanium or alternative lead white, naples yellow, yellow ochre, vermillion, carmine lake or quinacridone red or permanent alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue, cobalt blue, burnt umber, ivory black (optional: venetian red, viridian green, earth green, burnt sienna, raw umber, Van Dyck brown)
• mineral spirits (I like Gamsol)
• Painting medium (Linseed oil is my favorite)
• 2 glass jarsa
• variety of brushes (flats, filberts, angles)
• palette knife (useful but optional)
• paper towels
• palette (I use an old cookie sheet. I know it’s strange but it works! Glass or wood is more normal)
• vine charcoal
• paper (same size as canvas)
Born in Western Massachusetts, Chalice (pronounced like the cup) Mitchell grew up mostly in Maine and Vermont. Now based in North Adams, MA after 8 years in Japan, Chalice has also lived in England, Canada, New York, Oregon, Colorado, and Florida. Her work has been exhibited nationally and internationally.
To register by phone or email, please contact Erin Kaufman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-367-1306.