The history of Londonderry’s schoolhouses

LONDONDERRY, Vt. – In the 1860s Londonderry was comprised of 13 districts, each having its own schoolhouse. There was a certain amount of rivalry between the north and south villages, and each had their own grammar and high schools. These were gradually consolidated until finally in 1965 Flood Brook School became the regional grammar school, and the high school students traveled out of town.

schoolhouses
The Middletown Road Schoolhouse used to be the Londonderry Academy. Built around 1917, the structure originally had a cupola. It also served as Londonderry’s Masonic Lodge. Photo provided.

A new exhibit from the Londonderry Arts and Historical Society locates the site of each school and shows some memorabilia and photos of them, then and now. It is on display at the Middletown Road Schoolhouse, 2414 Middletown Road through Labor Day.

In addition to the new Schoolhouse exhibit, LAHS is also displaying “Changing Times,” exploring the multiple uses of many of Londonderry’s properties, across the street at the Custer Sharp House at 2416 Middletown Road. LAHS is open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information, call Annie Campbell at 802-856-7284 or email us at Londonderryahs@gmail.com.

Related Post

Back To Top