REGION – As the American Red Cross responds to Hurricane Florence, providing food, shelter, and comfort to those affected, individuals outside the affected areas are urged to help by giving blood or platelets to care for patients in the storm’s path and across the country. People can also help by making a financial donation to support relief efforts.
Hurricane Florence’s wrath left catastrophic damage behind and also took a toll on blood and platelet donations. Nearly 200 Red Cross blood drives in the Southeast were forced to cancel, resulting in more than 5,200 uncollected blood and platelet donations.
“Natural disasters like hurricanes can disrupt blood drives and prevent donors from giving, but hospital patients still depend on lifesaving transfusions,” said Cliff Numark, senior vice president, Red Cross Blood Services. “There is an especially critical need for platelets to help cancer patients and type O blood donations for ongoing patient care and emergencies. Every donation can be a lifeline for patients.”
Donors of all blood types are urged to help restore hope to patients across the country by making an appointment today to give blood or platelets. Appointments can be made by using the Blood Donor App, by visiting www.RedCrossBlood.org, or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Financial donations are also needed and allow the Red Cross to provide disaster relief immediately. Help people affected by Hurricane Florence by visiting www.RedCross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS, or texting the word FLORENCE to 90999 to make a donation.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- Sept. 27, from 12 to 5 p.m., United Church of Bellows Falls, 8 School St. Bellows Falls.
- Sept. 27, from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, Hospital Dr. Bennington.
- Sept. 28, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Diamond Run Mall, 46 Diamond Row Place, Rutland.
- Sept. 29, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Stockbridge Central School, 2933 Rt. 107, Stockbridge.
- Oct. 2, from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Fraternal Order of the Eagles, 54 Chickering Dr., Unit 1, Brattleboro.
- Oct. 5, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Killington Grand Resort Hotel, 228 East Mountain Rd., Killington.
- Oct. 9, from 12 to 6 p.m., Grace Congregational Church, 8 Court St., Rutland.
- Oct. 15, from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Southern Vermont College, 982 Mansion Dr., Bennington.