EAST WALLINGFORD, Vt. – The East Wallingford Railroad Section House Museum will be open Saturday, July 29 from Noon – 2:00 p.m.
Section houses were built to provide shelter, storage and offices for railroad maintenance workers. Although it’s age is not certain, Section House #14 dates from the late 1800’s/turn of the century. The building holds a holds a special attraction – “Fairmont Motor Car Number 118” – rail maintenance vehicle known as a “speeder car.” This gasoline powered vehicle replaced the original hand-pump car railroad workers used to travel along and maintain Section 14 of the rail line.
A collection of photographs and postcards of the E. Wallingford rail station and railroad bridges dating from the early 1900’s is on also on display in the building.
Section House is located at the bottom of Sugar Hill Rd, just around the corner and visible from the train crossing on Route 140 in East Wallingford Village.